Archive for Community – Page 2

Creating space for deep work

This is a personal blogpost – grateful for the space we have co-created here for practitioners, sharing questions, experiences, insights.

candle

I am writing on Saturday morning, November 14. Shabbat.

The morning after another night of horrifying attacks. This time in Paris. Before, in Beiroet, Ankara, Copenhagen, so many places.

And there are many, many other places where family members are grieving for their loved ones: so many died on their journey to safety, children and adults, drowned, sometimes very close to the shore.

All lives matter.

Read More

Welcome!

The World Café is a global community of people dedicated to awakening and engaging collective intelligence through conversations about questions that matter… this is our collective blog. Your active involvement in this conversation is warmly invited. Make comments on what you like or have questions about, send us posts, links, etc. or better yet – become an active blogger and post them yourself! Contact us to set you up with an account.

Alex Bretas

I was having a Skype conversation the other day with David Isaacs, co-founder of the World Cafe, and a young World Café host named Alex Bretas Vasconcelos from Sao Pablo, Brazil.  

Alex had called us together to talk about an educational initiative he's just finished crowd-sourcing funds for called "Education Outside the Box" (check out his video – it has English subtitles – and scroll down to hear a video message of support from Juanita Brown, co-founder of the World Café).

During our conversation, Alex started talking about his experience as a participant in one of the first Hosting World Café: The Fundamentals courses we hosted at Fielding. It was exciting to me to hear how strong its impact had been on him. Here's an excerpt from what he said:

After giving permission for me to pull out this piece of our conversation, he asked me if I wanted him to write something about his experience, so of course I said yes. Here's what he wrote:

It was a wonderful time taking the World Cafe Signature Learning Program, since it was both a challenge and an opportunity to me to get in touch with people from all around the world and practice my English. Beyond that, I was deeply curious to take a better look at the World Cafe, and at that time I was beginning my personal journey of discovery when it comes to host conversations that matter.

It was also an opportunity for me to read Juanita Brown's dissertation, a masterpiece which is always coming back at me in diverse forms. Now, I have a deeper knowledge about hosting practices both in a theoretical-reflexive level and in a experiential level, and the Signature Learning Program was co-responsible for that.